Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Yes, my mother and I converse in two different languages. What of it?

There was an interesting phenomenon that amazes my white friends when they came to our house.  The same phenomenon existed in the homes of my Croatian, Hungarian, German and Polish friends.

Our parents spoke their language to us and we spoke English back.  We still do it.  My mother and my sons do it to some extent.

This might have grown out of convenience or necessity, but what it did do is tune my brain to be able to understand Italian and English without having to translate what's being said.  It's so natural for many of us we don't even notice.

My friends would come into the house and watch these exchanges.

My francophone friends did not have this experience.  Perhaps it was because they went to French schools that French was their first language.  When they were together they spoke French.  (side note
... one of my favourite memories was playing football with them as a kid and they would say their plan in French or yell directions ... thinking we wouldn't understand. ha.)

What freaked people out was both the fact that we couldn't agree on a language and that it flowed so freely.  It even catches visitors from Italy by surprise.

But this communication anomaly was not contained to our individual homes.  No sir.  All of my Italian friends' moms spoke to me in Italian and I responded in English.  My mom did the same with my friends.  It was a well-oiled communication system that had no flaws.

BIG RULE.  My mom would do her best English if there were kids over who did not speak Italian.  It was considered very rude to speak Italian in front of people who did not speak Italian.  Some people do it, some need to, most do not.  If somebody in the group doesn't speak Italian, we tell my mom. (she thinks everybody understands Italian, even my dog).

Mom: Che cosa vuoi per pranzo?

Me: I don't care, mom, make what you want.

Mom: Che cosa hanno dicono I miei nipoti?

Me: They don't care either, mom.  They're hungry, they'll eat anything.

Mom: chi รจ questo ragazzo?

Me: One of Anthony's friend's.  He doesn't understand Italian.

Mom: Oh. OK.  How are you?  You gonna stay for lunch?

What were the unintended benefits of communicating this way?

  • Our parents could still freely express themselves and be understood by us.
  • We could freely express ourselves and be understood by them.  Most of us spoke Italian but English schools and friends brought the English to the forefront.
  • I can "think" in two languages.  I am not sure if that's easy to explain, but I can.  
  • I am able to understand most dialects because my Italian friends' parents were from all over Italy.   
Still to this day, after 50 years in Canada, I prefer my that mother speaks Italian so she can let loose and say what's on her mind.  My mother is hilarious in Italian, but hesitant in English.  My dad's English is stronger and I rarely hear him speak Italian.

It helps that we can understand because when my parents' friends come over they can settle into Italian and let 'er rip.

So, if you walk into a family-owned restaurant and hear the owner's family yakking away in two languages, it's not rare.  Only be alarmed if they speak two languages, look at you and then drop the English.





6 comments:

  1. I've been witness to some of these exchanges before. Not directly, but regardless, it's still amazing to see the language barrier between two dialects become utterly shattered by this conversation. It really shows the communicative transcendence that has occurred as more and more cultures have interacted with one another and grown closer through familiarity. I always envy people who speak in such ways and that had always gotten me interested to continue with any previously abandoned language studies. That is until I see the curriculum and go right back to being scared again. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get some rhythm in your shoulders and let your tongue flow, you can fake it through any language :)

      Delete
  2. The end was my favourite part of the article, "Only be alarmed if they speak two languages, look at you and then drop the English". Always so funny Frank! I've always been fascinated by the ability to speak another language, and envy my bff Lauren Aiello who can do so. I walk into their home and she and Christina often go back and forth in English and Italian together and I try my best to pick up what they are talking about, encouraging Lauren not to translate for me. I've learned a few words so far, but they are mostly bad ones, like stunata. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our friend Lauren is in a different situation than her friends. Most of her friends are the grandchildren of Immigrants where she is the daughter of one, so she gets to live it.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post. I found it quite entertaining. I think that you converse with your mom like that. I personally can't speak my native tongue but I do understand way more for someone who can't speak. Even broken English is easy for me to respond in plain English to. I don't know if language is funny that way. Being easy to understand and hard to speak. For my siblings this is true but I wonder how this is for everyone else. Great post!

    ReplyDelete