Monday, January 18, 2016

The Importance of the Funeral

growing up italian
"Did you go to Sam's funeral? How was it? Who was there?"

That, my friends, is how the conversation about a funeral usually begins.

I have been going to the funeral home for as long as I can remember.  I don't ever remember not going to the funeral home.  Losing a loved one is never easy and the grief is crippling as it is for everybody, but it is with great dignity that Italians deal with the business of death.  It's not taboo to discuss death or people who have died.  There is a difference between dealing with death and dealing with the business of death.

Funerals are important events in the Italian community.  Respect is a big thing in our culture and funerals are one of the main places where respect is shown (or intentionally not shown).  



Let's start at the beginning, the layout of the obituary and what people read into it.  Did it say "loving husband"? How were the children listed? Were their spouses mentioned?  All of them?  Did it list the grandchildren?  What about the siblings?  Even the one they're upset with? Who did it mention in the "predeceased by" section?

We ask questions that probe how that respect was displayed:
  • "Who was in the reception line and IN WHAT ORDER?"
  • "Was so-and-so there? Really?  Wow."
  • "Was the casket open? How did they look?  Good?"
  • "Were there a lot of flowers? From who?"
  • If the deceased was divorced "Was their ex there?"
  • "Who came from out of town? Anybody from Italy?"
My favourite questions is "how did they look?".  This is in reference to the deceased.

Some people look to see if the widow is wearing 110% black.  (There are people who watch after to see when the black gives way and colour starts to come back into the wardrobe)

You see the people in line probing the flowers to see who sent them.  

If a member of our family member is sick, we make sure we tell the family as we pass through the reception line.  It's more important to the sick person than it is for the grieving family, but we still tell them.

Another big question is who the pall-bearers were.  That question is as big as "who was in the wedding party?" or "who are the Godparents?"  I have been a pall bearer over twenty times and I make sure I tell my dad.  It's an honour for me, but he also likes to know that stuff.  One man had seven siblings so the family had eight pall bearers so no family was excluded and offended.  Eight people on a six handle casket.

If there is more than one priest serving the mass, well that moves the deceased up a few notches.  I was at a funeral of a former employee of the church and there were seven priests on the altar.  That's a person you want to know ... too bad they're gone.

The procession of cars was also a big deal, but it's slowly fading away.  There was a procession from the funeral home to the church.  Then from the church to the cemetery with a detour to pass by the house.  One paesano had his procession go by his mother's house, his house and his business on the way to the cemetery.  He lived in a cul-de-sac so that made it tricky.  The procession was OK when the distances were shorter.  With the community spread out, the process gets crazy so the house is no longer a regular feature.  Tangs-a-God for that.

FYI.  People still pull over for funeral processions in Welland.  It's a big deal for everybody that catches big-city-folk off guard.

What about back in Italy?  Did they post notices on the walls of their home town? Was there a memorial mass? Are people talking about the death?  Did any telegrams show up?
growing up italian
Something to read while having their gelato

There is a pecking order in our culture.  It's important that we know what the pecking order is and it's important that it's displayed in the right places.  The funeral home is one of those places. It's probably THE place. 

Example:  If an elderly gentleman passes away, some people look at the order of the reception line.  Are the children in line with their spouses or are they in line together and their spouses are together down the line?  Where are the deceased siblings?  Between the children and spouses or the end of the line?  You don't think that's a big deal?  I have to think there is no message there, but some people will read a message into it. "His brother lent him a lot of money ... he should have been between the wife and the oldest son.  Hmmm.... why is the oldest son third in line and not first?  Boy, he got fat!"

To an outsider this might sound like petty stuff, but to Italians funerals are SERIOUS business. Although we joke about it, the younger generation takes it seriously too, and not because we are afraid of our parents.  (We are afraid of them, but that's not the reason)  When I had an office downtown, my co-worker and I walked to the "Italian" funeral home at least four times per month to pay our respect to somebody's family.  90% of our intention was to pay our respects directly to the family.  10% was to make sure somebody from our family paid their respects.

Some people don't understand why we do some of the things we do.  When you tell people you're going to visit the family between the death and when the funeral happens, they are intimidated by that.  It bothers some to hear an older person tell another old person that their new suit will also look good on them when they die.

Where is all this going?

When I was 15 years old, my father and I were in Detroit for a visit and coming home.  In Windsor, at 11:45am, my father panicked and remembered that he had a dentist appointment at 3:00pm in Welland.  The appointment was rescheduled for one that he missed and he dared not miss again.  Back then, the drive from Welland to Windsor involved Highway 401, a not-yet-finished Highway 403 and a lot of side roads.  (For Ontarians, at that time, the only completed part of  Highway 403 was a short strip from Brantford to Paris) His intention was to complete a 4-hour drive in 3.25 hours.  As pressed for time as he was and determined to get to Welland by 3pm, he pulled over for three different funerals through the small towns we drove through.  THREE.  He was cursing himself each time for making the goal more difficult, but pulled over anyway.  Three times.  I told him we were in places where nobody knew us and he had to go and he said that didn't matter.  We pulled into his dentist's parking lot at 3:05pm.  That was a scary ride where he probably put our lives at risk, but at least he wouldn't have to live with the guilt of not showing his respect for a deceased individual. Or three. Good ol' Tony.

(P.S.  How important is respect? After I wrote this I reread twice to ensure I didn't offend anybody)





8 comments:

  1. This was so interesting to me. I've never really thought about funerals in this way before. My mother is from Newfoundland and we have some similar ideas about respect during funerals but I think Newfoundlanders might be a bit more subtle in their questions based on your post. Newfoundlanders will ask these things of their immediate family, but likely won't gossip about funeral arrangements outside of that group.
    It's interesting how much the politics of respect play a part in a funeral where, depending obviously on your religious tradition, the deceased is not there to be respected or disrespected. Actually now that I think of it, is it possible that the emphasis on respect is linked to a shared religious tradition?
    Overall this was a great post, lots of detail! It exposed me to a cultural situation that I haven't ever been exposed to before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a pecking order in families just like there is a pecking order in their small towns and the church is a big part of that community.

      Delete
  2. Alright this post was hilarious, informative, and overall very enjoyable to read. My enthusiasm comes from also living close to Welland and having gone to high school in Welland. Further, my best friend's parents own CC's Italian restaurant, so while I do not have a drop of Italian blood in me, I have been exposed to some of the Italian culture you mention. To me, this post was great in that I was able to recognize some of the things you talked on; I too have pulled over for a funeral in Welland, many of my teachers at Notre Dame were Italian, whenever I can I try to get some of Mrs. Aiello's chicken parm with gnocchi. And I have also witnessed the respect within this Welland Italian community. While in the past I've never understood why my bestfriend had to go to so many funerals for people she didn't know instead of hanging out with me. Now that I'm older, I think that the value placed upon respect in the Italian community is really admirable. It's a community within a community, a acknowledgement of shared culture. I don't have this community through culture within my own life, but would be lying if I said that I wasn't welcomed into the Italian one.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long live the Dugout! The Aiello's are old friends. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. It's stunning how meticulous a group can be at something that is considered to be such a sensitive and unstable affair, anything that is out of place or disrespected, whether intentional or not, can set off a powder keg. It just goes to show just how niche and separate cultures can be from one another despite shared rituals such as funerals.

    Funny that, living in a place colloquially dubbed as "Little Italy" I've never caught wind of any of these traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this was certainly a very interesting read--I guess in hindsight it doesn't surprise me that all these traditions and ideals are in place, but it just goes to show that we so often know so very little about the cultures and societies in our world that are not our own, and this is especially apparent at a younger age due to a lack of life experience. I have to wonder whether or not my father experienced similar things to this in his youth when he spent some time living in Italy, but I'm not familiar enough with the circumstances of his living there to know.

    ReplyDelete